Monday, August 22, 2011

The Bald Man Knows Chocolate

Unfortunately for sugar gluttons, it's just standard to eat the appetizer, entree, then the dessert. Well, in my utopian world, things are a little different. Dessert isn't just last, it's also first. And if you're really in the mood for pure sweetness, why not have some delightful truffles as an appetizer, a fruit-filled crepe as an entree, and then a big piece of red velvet cheesecake for dessert. Oh I forgot to add: health wouldn't be an issue in my society. Don't we all wish?


It seems like "The Bald Man" has already gotten a head-start on this idea. Max Brenner is a chain restaurant founded in 1996 in Israel, specializing in chocolatey concoctions and dishes. But you could still order your juicy burger and fresh salads to keep a real meal. The venue is barely lit, just enough to see your fellow peers. But its design is almost playful while still keeping its sophistication. It actually reminds me of "Willy Wonka the Chocolate Factory" but with class. Not only is it a restaurant, but it also has a store on the side where you could buy Max Brenner novelties, from its specialized cups to T-shirts. Better yet, you can purchase bonbons! So even when you come in for a night out and you have to wait a bit for a table, you can always look at all the chocolate in the store. I'll tell you now though, your mouth will water. It's a form of mild torture. 
One night, my family friends and I decided to hit the Boston nightlife and treat ourselves to some good dessert. The first thing that popped up in my head was Max Brenner. It was a Wednesday night, so luckily our wait wasn't too long. As always, our waitress took our beverage order. My friends ordered water, but I ordered a glass of milk. I don't know what it is, but Max Brenner has some pretty bomb milk. But it wasn't poured into your average glass cup. Max Brenner has a cup which they call the "alice cup" which is a tall, white glass. The straw is metal so that your drink stays as cold as it can be from the bottom of the glass until it reaches your mouth. It may not sound like a big deal, but when you're eating heavy chocolate, it makes a huge difference. So do exactly what is says: "Drink Me"!
For our meal, we each ordered something different. I got the "Max-Wich"-- chocolate cookie sandwich with chocolate ice cream and chocolate ganache all over. I don't think I have ever eaten anything so chocolatey in my life. I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate ice cream, but when it is sandwiched between cookies, I just love it. I had to use a fork and knife to eat my ice cream sandwich because it was pretty much impossible to pick up and bite off a chunk. My sister ordered their infamous Chocolate Pizza with chocolate spread, marshmallows, hazelnut bits, and banana slices. I liked this better than what I got! Every bite adds more chocolate around the edges of your mouth, and I loved the crunchy hazelnuts. This was actually a great dessert to pair up with milk. My friend ordered the Chocolate Cake Heart Truffle with a side of vanilla ice cream, a mini shake, and a filter of pure chocolate syrup. This was different because the dessert was split into three different elements. You have the shake which is obviously a liquid form of chocolate. You then have the cake itself with melted chocolate lava flowing out. And a cold vanilla ice cream scoop to go along side it. And if that's not enough chocolate for you, just drizzle some extra syrup all over everything! 
Ever since my first appearance, I have returned three more times ordering something different each time. I ordered the Fondue for Two (European style). We chose dark chocolate, milk chocolate, and caramel. The order came with strawberries, bananas, toffee chunks, brownie chunks, and marshmallows. And for a little bit of a camp-fire feel, they put a blue open-flame cauldron for you to melt your marshmallows! I have to say, the fondue for two is cute order for couples going out for a date at night in the city. Chocolate is all I ever need and if I could, I would come to Max Brenner every night. We'll see what I get the next time I go!









No comments:

Post a Comment